Our mouth houses billions of bacteria every day. Bacteria tend to build up as plaque, cavities, and gingivitis. All of which can lead to periodontal disease. Practicing good oral hygiene is crucial for a healthy smile. Patients must ensure to brush after their meals, use antibacterial mouthwashes, and floss once a day to ward off disease-causing bacteria from reproducing in the mouth.
What is the primary cause behind tooth decay?
Dental decay could have several contributing factors as the mouth is known to host bacteria in the form of plaque, tartar, etc. Bacteria tend to feed on sugar from leftover food and drinks. The resulting waste is left behind over the surface of the enamel in the form of dental plaque. Plaque released from bacteria also produces substances that irritate the gums, making the surface toxic. This has the possible chance to lead it to gingivitis or periodontal disease.
How can one ensure oral hygiene?
An easy and effective way to remove plaque and decay from teeth surface is to brush and floss them every day. Regular brushing can remove plaque and other food debris. Using a fluoride toothpaste is always recommended with a soft-bristle toothbrush. Patients can also use dental floss to remove plaque between teeth and to reach corners where a toothbrush can't reach.
Effective brushing and flossing technique
- Place the toothbrush at a 45-degree angle against your teeth
- Gently stroke the brush against your teeth back and forth
- Brush across all sides of your teeth without leaving the inner surfaces
- It is also advised to brush your tongue to remove bacteria and freshen your breath
- Take an appropriate amount of dental floss and help yourself by winding it around the middle fingers of each hand
- Hold the floss tightly between your thumb and fingers and guide them between your teeth in a gentle motion to remove any particles that are stuck and unable to be removed
In addition to daily brushing and flossing, a mouth rinse can help get rid of any bad stench that may be stopping you from smiling out wide. Antimicrobial mouthwashes reduce bacteria and any plaque activity. Fluoride mouth rinses can eliminate and prevents tooth decay.
Apart from your routine dental hygiene strategies, it is also recommended to visit the dentist’s office every six months for dental cleanings and examinations. Visit Dr. Lu, our best dentist in Bloomingdale. Call us at (630) 529 0303 or schedule an appointment online, today.